Wednesday, July 27, 2011

July 27, 2011

Tonight Roy returned to work.  Still in pain but I couldn't talk him into staying home.  Now that is dedication!  Poor guy sure is suffering! 

When I got home from work, I started the water on the back yard, and visited the garden.  picked some cucumbers...4.  I also cut some rhubarb.  I saved some aside for my mother and I froze the rest for us.  4 quarts!  feels like I accomplished something.  I'm so anxious to start canning.  Our shelves are looking so bare!  I'm wanting to can some beef and some beef broth too.  Need to get that done.  Then I'll have more room in our freezer.  I might try my hand at canning chicken this year!   I haven't done it for years, and I miss the fact of having chicken and broth at the ready for a quick lunch for guests. 

We should be able to eat well this winter with this plan.  Just think...canned chicken, canned beef, canned chicken and beef broth, frozen beef and once a month cooking meals, canned beans, pickles, tomatoes, frozen corn...wow...sure hope it works out!

LOL.  I was going through my recipes to find a dessert for this Sunday.  I found one.  Not sure if it is large enough to feed my crew.  (there is a note of sarcasm!)  You'll understand when you see the recipe.  I'm snickering as I type it.  Ha! Ha! Ha!

Plain Ole Vanilla Wedding Cake

800 lbs sugar
25 cups vanilla
21 1/2 lbs of baking powder
7200 stiffly beaten egg whites
75 gallons butter
600 lbs sifted cake flour
94 gallons of milk. 

Cream sugar, butter and vanilla together in bathtub.  Stir together flour and baking powder in separate tub.  Find a larger container, perhaps an unused grain silo, add cake flour to creamed mixture alternately adding milk.  Fold in egg whites.  Pour into as many number 12 wash tubs as you can find, making all layers about the same size.  Cover wash tubs and place in building that will take 28-30 minutes to burn down.  Remove from debris.  Frost with white icing using relatively  new rowboat oars. 

I do not know why I have kept this particular recipe.  Probably to have a good laugh.  How funny is this!  I thought I'd share it with all of you and hope you get a at least a grin on your face. 

All for now! 

No comments:

Post a Comment