Saturday, July 23, 2011

July 23, 2011 #2

Oh what a wonderful day!  This morning I spent with my husband.  We went to the Farmer's market and I bought some new potatoes for creamed peas and potatoes.  I also bought a kohlrabi.  Just 1.  Roy likes them...I can tolerate them...so we will have one with our lunch tomorrow.  I also bought some rosemary and parsley.  We went to WalMart after that to look for some herb plants...I got some rosemary.  Then we went riding around town looking things over.   Those are special times with us as we did it a lot when we were dating and first married.  so we enjoy that a lot.  Have I mentioned before that we are very simple people!  We really enjoy riding around in the county and looking things over, but we haven't done that in a while, since the gas prices are so high and one of us is usually busy!  Ha!  Then we went to McDonalds for lunch!  Again...see, how "simple" we are...I look forward to a date to McDonalds.  We enjoy watching all the out of state people, and seeing all the out of state license plates.  Well then we came home to get things done. 

I made some blueberry scones for Roy for breakfast tomorrow and he read the paper and snoozed. 




Then I went to a friends house to help her daughter with her muffins for 4-H for the fair.  I so enjoyed that!  It is so fun to help out the young cooks and teach them.  I was home in time to see Roy off to work.  I also had washed our bedding and hung it on the line this morning before we went to the Farmer's Market, so I had those take off of the clothesline!  Nothing like the smell of fresh air, clean sheets to sleep on at night. 

I made dessert for tomorrow.  No pie!  I had some things that needed to be used up, so I made it instead of the rhubarb pie.  Here is the recipe

DIRT DESSERT

1 1/4 lbs Oreo cookies crushed
3 lg pkgs vanilla Instant pudding
12 oz soft cream cheese
6 oz cool Whip
4 1/2 cup milk

Whip together pudding, milk, cream cheese, Cool Whip.  Layer the crushed cookies in 9 x 13 cake pan and then the pudding mixture. 

You could make it in a flour pot and decorate with gummy worms and plastic flowers.  Layer the flower planter with crushed cookies and pudding mix and decorate with worm and flowers. 

I also made a loaf of Italian Bread.  I'll make it into garlic bread tomorrow for our spaghetti lunch.  It is on it's second rising now. 

1-1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1/2 teaspoon white sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour


Add the sugar and yeast to the warm water and let proof.

Stir in 4 cups of flour and beat until smooth. Cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
Beat in the salt and then add enough remaining flour to make a stiff dough. Knead until as soft and smooth. Turn in a greased bowl, cover, and let double in size. (I put it in the oven with the light on - perfect rising temperature.)
Once doubled, punch down and divide into three. Place back in the bowl, cover, and let rise.
Once doubled again, punch down and form into three fat "footballs." Grease heavy cookie sheets and sprinkle with corn meal. Place the bread on the sheets, cover with a towel, and let rise.
Once risen, mist with water and place in a preheated 450 degrees F (230 degrees C) oven. Mist loaves with water and turn occasionally while they bake. Bread is done when golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.



As I mentioned, we are having spaghetti and meatballs for lunch tomorrow.  I've made my own spaghetti sauce mix for years.  Huge hit with my kids.  I make it up now and share with them.  Here is the recipe for the mix AND the sauce. 

MIX: 

1 T instant minced onion
1/4 t instant minced garlic
1 T parsley flakes
1 t sugar
1 T cornstarch
1 1/2 t salt
3/4 t Italian season. 

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl until evenly distributed.  Spoon mixture onto a 6 inch square of aluminum foil and fold to make air tight.  Label.  Store in a cool, dry place.  Makes 1 pkg about 1/3 cup.  (I store in a jar)

SPAGHETTI SAUCE

1 lb lean ground beef
2 8 oz cans tomato sauce
1 6 oz can tomato paste
2 3/4 cups tomato juice or water (I always use water)
1 pkg (1/3 cup) spaghetti seasoning mix

Brown ground beef in a medium skillet over medium high heat.  Drain excess grease.  Add tomato sauce, tomato past and water.  Stir in Spaghetti Seasoning Mix.  Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. 


Now for the creamed potatoes and peas. 

desired amount of potatoes...boiled until tender
peas (frozen or fresh) cooked until tender. 

2 T butter
2 T flour
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1 1/2 cups milk. 
 melt the butter in a saucepan; add flour, salt and pepper to form a paste. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; boil for 1 minute.  cook until thickened and bubbly. Drain potatoes and peas; place in a serving bowl. Pour sauce over and stir to coat. Serve immediately.               

There you have my menu for our lunch tomorrow. 

I also made a batch of guacamole....

4 avocados, pitted
1/2 onion, diced
1 tomato, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp lime juice
mayonnaise to your taste. 



I've had some requests for the SOUR CREAM CHOCOLATE MUFFINS (here it is Mary!)

5 oz semisweet Chocolate
2 baking chocolate squares
1/3 cup butter
3/4 cup sour cream
2/3 cup brown sugar, packed

1 egg
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking Soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup Chocolate chips

Mix semisweet chocolate, baking chocolate, and butter together, then melt carefully in microwave or over simmering water in double boiler.  Allow to cool to lukewarm.  Mix sour cream, sugar, corn syrup, egg and vanilla.  Blend with melted chocolates.  Blend flour, soda and salt, then add to the chocolate mixture and blend very well.  Add the chocolate chips.  Pour batter into 12 greased muffin tins.  Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes.  Removed from muffin tins and allow to cool on wire racks. 

When freezing, cool completely, then freeze in individual baggies, removing as much air as possible from each baggie before sealing. 

Yield 12 muffins. 

My goal for this coming month is to post a recipe every evening.  My husband works evenings Wednesday through Sunday for the next 4 weeks, so will free me up a little bit to be able to post more often.  so hopefully I will be able to accomplish that. 

hope you enjoy these recipes.  Until next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment