Friday, March 11, 2011

Meatballs/Broccoli Rice Casserole/Peach Pie

Well this is one of my least favorite meals to prepare.  I do not like making pie as I am terrible at making pie crust!  I have never mastered that feat!  So for this...I cheat.  I buy my pie crusts!  ha! ha! ha!  I make up the filling when I'm freezing peaches in the summer.  I freeze it then I have it ready.  The pie crust can be frozen too.  When I do get brave and make a pie crust and it turns out, I freeze it and it works out well.  The purchased pie crusted that I use is the rolls and it freezes well in the pie plate. 

Well I'll get on to the recipes for this time. 

MEATBALLS

1 1/2 lbs ground meat
1/4 cup dry crumbs
1/3 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup milk
1 egg
1 T parsley flakes
1 t salt
1/8 t pepper
1 T Worcestershire sauce

Yields about 20 medium meatballs

Cooking day instructions
combine all ingredients and mix together gently.  (I use my hands...DO NOT use a mixer.  In my opinion it makes the meatballs tough.  If you mix them with your hands it works best!)  Shape mixture into balls and arrange on jelly roll pan.  Cover meatballs and flash freeze.    Remove meatballs from pan and freeze, using freezer bag method. 

Serving Day Instructions
Thaw meatballs completely and place in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.  Remove from pan and allow to cool. 

Hint
Meatballs may be used in a number of ways.  They can be served as an appetizer with barbecue sauce, cooked for sandwiches, served with spaghetti sauce, or covered with a cream sauce and placed over pasta or rice. 
Barbecue Sauce
(great appetizer)
1 cup ketchup
1 T Worcestershire sauce
2 T brown sugar
2 T vinegar
1/4 t salt
Dash pepper 

Cream Sauce
(great over meatballs with pasta!)
10.75 oz can cream of mushroom soup
8 oz pkg cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup water
1/2 t beef bouillon

For both sauces, mix ingredients together and heat until bubbly.  Pour over warm meatballs. 

Broccoli Rice Casserole
4 cups fresh broccoli florets
1/2 cup better, melted
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1 10 oz can cream of mushroom soup
8 oz Velveeta cheese, cubed
1 cup cooked rice

8-10 servings

Cooking Day
In a large, covered saucepan, cook broccoli in a small amount of boiling water for 6-8 minutes,
until crisp tender.  Drain well.  In a large skillet, saute onion in melted butter over medium heat for 2-3 minutes.  Add soup, then cheese, stirring until cheese is melted and well blended.  Add broccoli and rice to soup mixture.  Place in a lined 9 x 13 baking dish and freeze, using foil and plastic wrap method. 

Serving Day
Unwrap, return to original baking dish, and thaw completely.  Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. 

Old fashioned Peach Pie

Having this filling made ahead takes the prep work out of homemade pie!

3 lbs fresh, ripe peaches (approximately 3 3/4 cups sliced)
1/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 t nutmeg
3/4 t cinnamon
 Serving Day
One double pie crust

Yield:  one 9 inch pie

Cooking Day
Peel, pit, and slice fresh peaches into a medium mixing bowl.  In a separate small bowl, mix together brown sugar, granulated sugar, cornstarch, and spices.  Pour mixture over peaches and stir until well coated.  Place peach mixture in a freezer bag and freeze. 

Serving Day

Thaw completely.  Place bottom layer of pie crust in a 9 inch pie pan.  Spoon peaches into pie pan.  Cut top crust into 1/4 inch wide strips, then form a lattice top in a crisscross pattern for top crust.  Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes, until crust is golden brown and juices are bubbly. 



To really show you how frugal I can be....the peeling and pits from the peaches....I use to make Peach pit jelly!  That's a whole other post!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment