Friday, February 18, 2011

Freezer cooking

This week I made a big crock pot full of chili.  Since it would take Roy and I a long time to eat that much and would get tired of it after a few meals, I decided to go ahead and freeze it.  I poured it into quart size freezer bags and laid them flat on a cookie sheet.  when they were completely frozen, I took the cookie sheet out and laid them flat on the freezer shelf.  Now when it is cold out and/or we are in the mood for chili, I have it ready to go.  This will work on Chili dogs or for Frito chili pie or any of foods calling for chili!  I used to can my chili and have it on the shelves, and I froze some too.  The frozen was perfect!  I always felt that the canned chili was a little more "soupy".  So obviously I cooked it too long, but I could never get it just to the right point.  Freezing is certainly a lot easier. 

This weekend we are going to have the Sweet Mustard Glaze Salmon.  This will be our Sunday dinner!  along with Parmesan Potatoes and Italian bread and green beans w/almonds!  Our daughter loves Salmon (actually any seafood) so will serve when she is at our house for dinner.  She can have part of mine, as I won't be able to eat it all!  I am thinking of  making homemade Butterscotch pudding for dessert!   using my mother-in-laws recipe!!!  ROY'S FAVORITE! 

Tomorrow, I have our granddaughters for the day...think we will make creme puffs!  Need to make bread too as Roy is out of bread!  They love to help grandma punch the dough!  Big helpers. 

Monday we will probably be planning our menu for our next OAMC and plan the date!  We also will be doing butchering sometime in March, so we are looking forward to having some "real" meat.  We call our meat from the farm "real" and the meat from the grocery store (especially WalMart) "artificial"!  I plan on taking some of the bones and make my own beef stock and can it so I have beef broth and beef stock on hand!  I like to "saute" in broth rather than oil...sure cuts down on the fat!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment