Saturday, June 18, 2011

Father's Day Menu

Tomorrow being Father's Day, we will be having the kids over for a cook out!  Mmmm shouldn't they be having their Dad over instead...Mmmm  Oh well...we love having them all together.  That is the important thing to us!  Just so you know...My kids have the best Dad in the world.  I had the best, but he is gone, so now my husband is the best in the world!  He is patient, understand yet firm, loving, kind, gentle and funny! 



We will be grilling T-Bone steaks, and my famous jalapeno poppers.  I will bake potatoes on the grill...ha..So..thought I'd share some of the recipes and the ideas with you.  So here goes...

I'm marinating the steaks in red wine!  I put onion and garlic and salt and pepper in a bag (add some seeds from the jalapeno's) and then pour in the red wine...enough to cover the steaks.  Seal the bag and turn over a few times to coat.  Place in fridge.  I'm letting them marinade now until noon tomorrow.  so when I get up in the morning around 7, I'll turn them over again.  When I get home from church ready to cook, I'll drain the marinade off and discard it.  Then I'll grill them to desired doneness. 

Now to "bake" the potatoes!  Wash and scrub potatoes.  Using a meat fork, poke holes in potatoes, 3 to 4 per potatoe.  Rub softened butter and sprinkle with garlic salt and/or onion salt.  Wrap in heavy duty aluminum foil and place on preheated grill and "bake" until done.  I put them on a top rack so they get more heat than fire.  I turn them 2 or 3 time during the baking so they don't burn on one side. 

We will also be having Old Fashioned Baked Beans.  These I started tonight and they will cook while we are at church. 

2 cups Northern Beans
5 cups water
1 small onion chopped
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 thick slices pork (I used thick sliced bacon)

Wash and pick over beans.   Cook overnight or 9-15 hours.  When tender, drain beans and reserve liquid.  Mix these ingredients 1/4 cup molasses or maple syrup; 2 Tablespoon brown sugar; 1 teaspoon dry mustard; 1/4 cup catsup; 3/4 cup to 1 cup bean liquid.  Pour over beans, cover and heat 1 to 2 hours. 

Now....for the biscuits!  Hubby tells me not share the recipe...but I think you'll love these. 

FEATHER LIGHT BISCUITS
1 package dry yeast
 2 tablespoons warm water (105° to 115°)
 5 cups all-purpose flour
 1 tablespoon baking powder
 1 teaspoon soda
 1 1/2  teaspoons salt
 2 tablespoons sugar
 1 cup shortening
 2 cups buttermilk
 Melted butter or margarine

Directions

GETTING STARTED
1. Preheat the oven to 400.
2. Take a small bowl and add warm water to it. Dissolve yeast into it and keep it aside.

MAKING
3. In a bowl mix flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and sugar with shortening. Blend the mixture till it resembles coarse meal.
4. Gradually add other ingredients like buttermilk and yeast mixture. Mix them well.
5. Portion out this mixture on lightly floured surface and knead it for about 2-3 minutes.
6. Mould this dough by rolling them in 1/2 inch thickness and cut the dough using 2-inch biscuit cutter.
7. Portion out this biscuit dough on lightly greased sheet and brush their tops with melted butter.
8. Bake this portion for about 400 at 15 minutes.
Tomorrow I think I'll serve them with honey butter. 
Ohhh my gosh....I never even gave dessert a thought!  Hang on...I'm gonna do some thumbing through my recipes....wow...can't believe I never gave dessert a thought.  Be right back. 
Ok...I'm back.  Thanks for waiting.   Ha!  Ha!   

For dessert, we will have Impossible Banana Cream Pie.   It is yummy.  and easy
1 cup milk
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup bisquick baking mix
2 medium bananas, sliced
1 cup chilled whipping cream
2 Tablespoons powdered sugar
Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease 10 inch pie plate.  Beat milk, margarine, vanilla, eggs, granulated sugar and Bisquick until smooth, 1 minute, with hand mixer.  Pour into a plate.  Bake about 30 minutes.  Cool completely.  Arrange banana slices on pie.  Beat whipping cream and powdered sugar in a chilled bowl until stiff.  Spread over top.  See...how easy is that?!

Okay...guess that covers our Father's Day Feast!  I'll try to come back on tomorrow night and post pictures.  The kids will all be at their homes and Roy will be at work..post.  ..so I hopefully will have some time to post. 

Until then.  Eat and enjoy time with your wonderful Dad!  HAPPY FATHER'S DAY to all of you fathers.  Mine is in heaven and I miss him every day of my life.  He was fantastic!  Always supportive and encouraging!  I miss you Dad...Love ya! 


No comments:

Post a Comment