Thursday, September 15, 2011

September 15, 2011

Well tonight was  C O L D!!! here, good soup weather.  So, I decided to make homemade Potato Soup.  Roy was wanting some biscuits, so I also made homemade buttermilk biscuits and made some homemade butter out of some cream that was about the expire, and added some honey to it, for honey butter.   

For the potato soup!!!    Now I will tell you that I have removed all the calories and all the fat!!!  ha! ha! 

peel a desired amount of potatoes.  Since it is just Roy and I and I don't eat much and Roy is cutting down, I peeled one potato.  (size of a baking potato) 
dice a small amount of onion
cover with chicken broth and bring to a boil.  Boil until potato is fork tender (meaning that the fork goes through a potato piece with little resistance).  Drain, reserving the broth. 

melt 2 tablespoons butter in saucepan.  Add 1 or 2 tablespoons flour and stir until all the flour is moistened.  Add 1 cup heavy whipping cream.    Stir to incorporate all flour/cream mixture.  As soon as it is bubbling, add more cream and chicken broth, alternating between the two...to reach desired consistancy.   Pour in potatoes.  Heat to bubbling and add 1 tablespoon butter and salt and pepper to taste. 

tonight I heated up some cheddar wursts in my cast iron skillet until they heated through.  I then chunked it up and added it when I added the potatoes to the cream mixture.  I also have added corn in the past...quite tasty!  Usually I add either ham or bacon (mostly bacon as I always have that on hand) instead of the brats that I added tonight.

While the potatoes were boiling, I made up the biscuits

2 c. sifted flour (bread flour is best)
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/3 c. Crisco
1 c. buttermilk


Sift together dry ingredients. Cut in the shortening with a fork or pastry blender, it will be coarse crumbs. Add buttermilk all at once and stir until the dough follows the fork around the bowl. Turn out and knead only 5 to 6 times. (Too much handling makes them tough.) Roll to about 1/2 inch thick. Cut with round cookie cutter or glass (cup) dipped in flour. Place in greased pan. Brush gently with melted butter. Bake at 375 to 400 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes. When baked, brush again with melted butter.
 
there you have it.  Our calorie free/fat free dinner!  (hahaha)
 
For dessert we had peach cobbler with a dollop of ice cream!  Me I was too full to have any.  hehehehe

No comments:

Post a Comment