Sunday, August 28, 2011

July 28, 2012

Well once again I failed to get pictures of the foods.  Camera malfunction.  Hubby says it was the operator!  ha ha!  Funny guy! 

Well, the breakfast enchiladas that I made for breakfast at church was a HUGE hit!  That makes me extremely happy!  I'm wanting this to be a success, not for me, but to help the church and it's people.  HONESTLY!  I truly mean that!  People really loved it.  I huge casserole dishes were devoured.  Then I made another breakfast casserole.  It too was gone.  So...here are the recipes.  AND I've got a huge pot of green bean soup going...I'll try to give the directions for that also. 

SAUSAGE AND EGG CASSEROLE

1 lb bulk sausage
6 eggs
1 tsp dry mustard
2 cups milk
1 tsp salt
6 slices white bread, cubed (I only used 4 and I removed the crusts)
4 oz mild cheese, cubed  (I shredded mine)

Brown sausage and drain.  Beat the eggs; add mustard, milk, and salt.  Mix in the bread cubes, cheese, and sausage.  Put in a buttered baking dish and refrigerate overnight. 

In the morning, take the casserole out of the refrigerator and let set on the counter for a half hour while oven is preheating.  Bake at 350 degree for 45 minutes.  Remove from the oven and let set for several minutes before cutting. 

Now.,..this is a disclaimer.  This is directions on how I made these.  There is no "recipe" to follow...as I made these up for this....they were a hit as I said before. 

BREAKFAST ENCHILADAS

1 lb bulk sausage
1 small can of green chilies
12 large eggs
2 cups of shredded hash browns (I used the frozen and I thawed them and added them to the eggs as they cooked)
shredded cheddar cheese
Flour tortillas

Brown sausage and drain well.  Beat the eggs and add chilies.  Pour into a separate skillet from what the sausage was cooked in and cook.  When almost done, add the thawed, drained hash browns.  When completely cooked set aside in a medium bowl. 

When all is cooled, combine eggs and sausage and some shredded cheese.  (Reserve some sausage for the gravy)  Place a spoonful of egg/sausage in middle of tortillas and bring end closest to you to middle, then fold in left side and right side and then roll.  Place each burrito into a well buttered casserole dish, seam side down.  When all tortillas are used, cover with aluminum foil and place in refrigerator overnight, or set aside to make sausage gravy. 

For the gravy, use the pan that the sausage was browned in.  Use some if the grease drained from the cooked sausage.  When bubbly, add enough flour to make a "roux".,... not to thick.  Whisking constantly.  Pour in some heavy cream.....then add some milk...whisking the entire time.  When desired thickness has been reached, add some sausage pieces.    Pour over the burritos.  Top with some more shredded cheese and bake till warmed through! 

Now for the green bean soup! 

2 lbs. meaty ham bone
2 qts. water
4 c. green beans, cut up
3 c. potatoes, cubed
2 med. onions, sliced
1/4 c. parsley, chopped
4 sprigs summer savory, chopped OR 1 tsp. dried savory
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper


Combine ham bone and water in 6 quart saucepan. Cook 1 1/2 hours. Remove meat from bone and cut in chunks. Add to soup stock, along with green beans, potatoes, onions, parsley, savory, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer covered 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Skim off excess fat. Just before serving stir in 1 cup light cream or milk.
 
Well there you have them.  Please let me know what you think of these.  I love to hear the comments and it helps to make me a better cook and a better blogger.  Who knows...maybe I'll be another Pioneer Woman!  ha! 
 
Love to all.  Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment