Sunday, August 14, 2011

August 14, 2011

This past weekend was my high school reunion.  It was so good to see my classmates after all these years.  Goodland High School Class of 1974!  Can hardly believe it has been 37 years!  Seems like only yesterday we were walking through the halls of Goodland High School together! 

After my class get together, I worked in my garden for awhile.  I picked a rather large batch of cucumbers and a good crop of zucchini.  I put some of the cucumbers in a crock filled with brine for a start of 14 day sweet pickles.  My family just adores them!  I don't like sweet pickles.  I sliced some up for sour cream and cucumbers.   

Today the our daughter and granddaughters and their Dad and a good friend and her children were here for lunch.  Wasn't much to it, grilled hamburgers and cheddar brats, cucumbers and chips and homemade Salsa that Mary brought.  Roy went to WalMart and bought a cake.....it is Michelle's (Mary's daughter) birthday tomorrow.  We wanted to surprise her and didn't have time to bake a cake.  Wasn't aware until church.  Feel bad that it wasn't homemade, but "grandpa" thought enough of her to at least let her have a "Paula Deen Lemon" Cake. 

After the kids all left and Roy went to work, I worked on the zucchini.  I shredded  it and bagged it in 2 cup ziplock baggies.  Got a total of 6 quarts.  Then I worked on my rhubarb.  I washed, chopped and bagged 6 quarts of it.  I also worked on getting some beef broth made.  I will get to finish it up tomorrow night.  It will be nice to have those jars of beef broth this winter and jars of canned beef for quick stews and beef and noodles! 

I will post pictures of all this and the recipes later. 

All for now

Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment